Thursday, January 15, 2009

Post- Post

More often than not, my "new" posts are always backdated, since I finish them months after I begin. And now that Lindsey is on house arrest and posting like a fiend, my posts are going to be sneaking in the back door, under the layers of snow and fake ID. I like it this way.

I realized post-posting for the first time how terribly sentimental a writer I was raised to be. I've certainly adapted a bit to the blogging way-- my paragraphs are short, I try to include photos, for a while, I was really into lists--but I still have more of a penchant for the short story than the tabloid column, or the news brief and a jump.

When a friend caught Blogger tab open in my Firefox yesterday, and tried to peek at the blog-in-process (or worse! the URL for the posted blogs!), I panicked and told him it wasn't mine... okay, it's mine... but it's just... not... for viewing... your eyeballs will fall out if you read it.

I must make the confession that I've told very few people at Harvard about my blogs, and perhaps one of my biggest fears (made real when I posted something about my brother, thus putting my first and last names close enough together in a post to be picked up by Google as a result for entering my name) is imagining most of the people I actually interact with reading my writing. Save for those I email most, and my TFs, no one at Harvard reads or has read my writing--with the exception of a few alums on the team who picked up Halfwhat when I left the URL on my facebook account for a day. It's not because I write nasty things about people (though I would really prefer that none of the professors in the last post ever was told about their profiles here), but wearing my heart on my sleeve is not my style--that's why I prefer to wear it in my blogs.

Our new website counter will now tell me when others from Harvard are reading the blog--or from anywhere else for that matter--I'm beginning to wonder if I really want to know. Well, I suppose that's what I get for spilling my sentimental guts on the interwebs. Whoever you folks are, I hope you enjoy the read.

1 comment:

lindsey said...

I certainly did. And it was sneaky! I almost missed it!