Tuesday, January 13, 2009

new beginnings

When I think about blogging, I get so bogged down by the fact that arrival gate is a new blog and new blogs need nice, solid intro posts, that I never write. I think it's time to forget that arrival gate is new -- actually, according to the two posts, it's almost two months old -- and just write. It's surprising, actually, how hard that is, "just writing," after several months of not posting or writing regularly. Well, that's about to change -- I hope. And with my newfound interest in publishing my writings for the world to see, I'll try to get my partner in crime posting as well... or, at least, publishing all her unfinished posts.

I guess now is as good a time as any to confess that i'm unemployed.

Unemployed but strangely tranquil about it. Strangely lulled by my newfound freedom into picking up things I've had to drop, like playing violin, like blogging, like biking when it's warm and dry enough (not often). Strangely excited by the prospect of the job I will hopefully soon obtain, encouraged by all the prospects i'm juggling.

I had a meeting with a creative recruiter this morning who was asking me about how i'm finding the job search ("Slow... there doesn't seem to be much out there") and telling me about her dealings with clients who are ashamed to admit they can't hire even temporarily and other lookers like me who beg and plead and call her three times a day in the hopes that persistence (bordering on annoying) will help their chances at being placed in some sort of job. It doesn't.

So, I might as well be relaxed.

I left feeling encouraged and motivated and awake (the meeting was about the time I've been waking up recently). Let's hope my positive outlook increases my attractiveness to future employers. And let's hope this unemployment doesn't last too long.

The recruiter hoped things would get better after the new year. They haven't. Now she hopes things will get better after Obama's inauguration next week. I'm inclined to hope for the same.

No comments: